9.30.2010

Oat and Whole Wheat Waffles

This started as a recipe from Clean Eating for Oat and Whole Wheat pancakes, but I liked the flavor so much that I modified a family waffle recipe to include oats and whole wheat. I make a batch of these and freeze the extras for a quick breakfast on mornings I don't feel like eating cereal.

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tlbs applesauce

Mix all the ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes to allow oats to soften. Put 1/3 cup or so at a time into the waffle iron.

The original recipe, in addition to using white flour, also called for 2 Tlbs oil. I replaced the white flour with whole wheat, and replaced the oil with applesauce, which does the same job as the oil in this case. I also use a Belgian waffle maker, which I prefer to traditional 1/4" waffles, and it seems to work particularly well with this recipe. This is a relatively large recipe (at least for me), so I usually end up with 6-7 waffles, and I freeze all but 1-2 of them. To warm them up in the mornings, I put one in the microwave for 1 minute or so, then pop it in the toaster to get it crispy on the outside. Mmmm....delicious. And full of fiber, so it's a tasty and healthy breakfast!

Rating: 5/5
Why? They are easy to make, delicious, and full of fiber, so they fill me up until lunchtime, and I love how crisp they are on the outside.

No comments: