9.13.2010

Oat and Whole Wheat Pancakes

I love this recipe! I have to get up really early to get to school, but I  make a batch of these on weekends, put the extras in the freezer, and warm one in the toaster for breakfast instead of having cereal. Yum!

1.25 cups rolled oats (not quick oats!)
1.25 cups skim milk (I have also used buttermilk, see below)
1 large egg
1 Tlbs canola oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder

In a bowl, combine the rolled oats and the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes or so to allow the oats to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just blended. Getting them golden brown is a bit tricky, I use a nonstick pan sprayed with olive oil over medium to medium low heat. It takes several minutes to cook each side, but I hate burned and raw pancakes, so I do it slow. Side one is cooked when bubbles start appearing in the batter you can see and the sides look a little dry. Flip it and side two will take just a hair less time than side one.

I top my pancakes with peanut butter and a tiny bit of honey, but you can top them with whatever you want. One pancake is pretty filling, and this recipe makes about six 5" pancakes, which is why I freeze them. To freeze them, cook each pancake and let it cool completely on a baking rack. Then stack them up, put them in a plastic freezer bag, get as much air as you can out of it, and toss it in the freezer. To use one from frozen, grab one, put it in the microwave for 1 minute or so, then pop it in the toaster. It comes out hot all the way through and with that awesome crust on the outside.

I have also made buttermilk pancakes by replacing the milk with buttermilk. To do that, just add 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar to your milk. I have also developed a corresponding oat and whole wheat waffle recipe from this which I will post soon.

Rating - 5/5
Why? I like dense pancakes and these fit the bill. I am a huge fan of rolled oats, and because of this recipe I learned how to add them to many different types of breads. I like that they are easy to freeze and eat on your way out of the door.

No comments: