10.05.2010

Apple and Bacon Grilled Cheese

I have never been a big fan of grilled cheese, and used to ask my mom to make me just a plain cheese sandwich instead, but then I grew up, and one day a picture in Cook This, Not That! caught my attention. I love the sharp bite of this particular combination.

half an apple (I use a green Golden Delicious)
3 strips of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
2-3 Tlbs dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese OR enough very thin slices to cover the bread
4 slices of bread

Peel, core, and dice the apple, and eat the other half while you are waiting for the sandwich to cook. Mix the diced apple, crumbled bacon and mustard together in a bowl. The key to a good grilled cheese is to cook it low and slow, so heat a nonstick pan over medium low heat. Spray one side of one piece of bread with olive oil and place it oil side down on the pan. Spread 1/4 of the cheese on the bread (or enough very thin slices to cover the bread) and then spread half of the apple bacon mixture on the bread. Top it with another 1/4 of the cheese, and then another slice of bread. Let it grill very slowly (it should take at least 8-10 minutes at least) and then spray the top of the bread with olive oil and carefully flip it over. Let it grill for another 8-10 minutes, then enjoy!

The original recipe called for a sliced apple and bacon strips, but I found that the apple didn't cook all the way through, so I changed it. This is the adult version of grilled cheese that is just the perfect thing on a cold, rainy afternoon.

Rating: 5/5 (when I take the time to cook it right)
Why? The thing with grilled cheese is that it takes time and just the perfect temperature on the stove top, which I have struggled to get right. When I get it right though, it is completely worth the 20 minutes of cooking because it really is quite amazing. I love the bite of the mix of sharp cheddar, sour apple, and dijon mustard and the slight saltiness of the bacon is perfect with it.

No comments: