1.25.2014

Corn and Bacon Griddle Cakes

I like pancakes. I grew up in a family that made pancakes infrequently; they were generally reserved for camping trips or occasional Saturday mornings. I have yet to master the light and fluffy pancakes that I dream about, but I continue to work on it. These caught my eye on pinterest, and as I read the recipe, I was intrigued by the idea of something sweet and salty for breakfast. I haven't made a huge number of changes, but I will probably modify this somewhat, since I will be coming back to it repeatedly. Original recipe here (and her pictures are better than mine). 

Ingredients
3-4 slices of bacon
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
2 green onions, chopped finely
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg (beaten)
1 Tlbs olive oil
1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
*1/2-1 additional cup of milk, if needed

Instructions:
Saute the bacon for a few minutes until it starts to brown, then add the onion and continue to cook until the bacon is crispy and the onion is clear. Meanwhile, in a separate mixing bowl, mix the flour, green onions, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the milk, egg, and olive oil and mix just until moistened, then stir in the corn, cheese, and the bacon mixture. It will be really thick, so add milk to it if you would like it thinner. I ended up adding about 3/4 of a cup. Cook on a griddle or hot non-stick skilled until done, and serve with warm maple syrup. Makes approximately 6 6" pancakes.

Holy crap on a cracker....this is totally amazeballs. It is salty and sweet at the same time, and really filling. So, so good. The only changes I made were to cut the bacon in half (hers called for 8 strips of bacon!), change the flour to whole wheat, and use green onions instead of the chives she called for (for some reason, I can NOT find fresh chives up here). My corn was frozen when I added it, and it still worked perfectly. Mmmmm.....

Rating 5/5
Why? Still working on my pancake skills, but I really like that these aren't so sweet. 

No comments: