2.03.2011

Chinese Chicken Salad

I have been rather remiss and very lazy in the cooking arena lately, but I recently got my ducks in a row and figured out how to meal plan in a way that works for me, so hopefully the blogging will be less sporadic. One of the recipes I tried this week was this salad. I love loaded salads, but you have to be careful about the toppings. This salad has a lot of toppings, but they are all good for me, which is the best way to go! I based this off an allrecipes.com recipe but did change it a bit.

Dressing:
1.5 Tlbs hoisin sauce
1 Tlbs peanut butter
1 tsp loose brown sugar
1/2 tso hot chili paste
1/2 tsp ginger
1.5 Tlbs rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tlbs sesame oil

Salad:
1/4 cup shredded chicken
2 wonton wrappers
2 cups shredded romaine
1/8 cup grated carrot
1/8 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chopped red bell peppers
2 Tlbs chopped cilantro

Heat the oven to 350 and spray a pan with olive oil. Lay the wonton wrappers on the sheet and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut them into narrow strips. Bake for 3-4 minutes, checking often to prevent burning. Take them out and let them cool. While they are baking, whisk together the dressing ingredients. On a plate, layer the salad to your liking, add the dressing, and toss the baked wonton wrappers on top. Alternatively (and this is what I do when I bring a salad to school), put all the ingredients except the wonton wrappers into a plastic ziploc bag or bowl with a tight fitting lid and toss to coat everything evenly.

Rating: 5/5
Why? Like I said, I love loaded salads and this one has lots to love. The dressing has a kick to it and is one of the first dressings I have made myself that I really like.

No comments: